Netra T1 105 and two ethernet ports

Phillips, Paul paulp at mail.smu.edu
Fri Dec 19 15:36:51 PST 2003

Hello  -

I am quite new to FreeBSD, but not a complete newbie to the unix world.

I have a Netra T1 105 with two ethernet ports.  It is running FreeBSD 5.2 beta.

I want to have each ethernet port with its own IP address, but both addresses will be on the same subnet.

I can't make it work, so I have been reading various archives, trying to figure out what was going on.

After noticing that both ports had the same MAC address, and doing some archive reading, I found that I can easily change the second port to another Mac address by doing this:

ifconfig hme1 ether aa:1:2:3:4:6

I can confirm that this change in MAC address has taken place by ifconfig with no arguments.

However, when I next type:
ifconfig hme1 inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

then I get this message:
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

I don't know what this means, or how to change it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Paul