Serial boot console and kernel options (sio vs sab)

Tillman tillman at seekingfire.com
Mon Aug 18 11:29:17 PDT 2003

Howdy,

I currently have a getty listening on COM1 to allow me to login to my
Ultra 5 over a null modem cable. I'd like to expand this so that I can
also access the boot process over the serial line (in addition to on the
normal keyboard/monitor).

Following the relevant chapter in the handbook (section 17.6), I find
that they talk about the sio serial driver. I used the sab serial driver
... and it doesn't seem to have a man page. Are the same kernel options
applicable to sab? For example, can I do something like this in my
kernel config file:

device sab0 at ebus0 port IO_COM2 flags 0x10 irq 43

... ? Or is there some otehr process to enable the boot process on COM1
for sparc?

My dmesg shows this, by the way:

# dmesg | grep sab
sab0: <Siemens SAB 82532 v3.2> addr 0x1400400000-0x140040007f irq 43 on ebus0
sabtty0: <ttya> on sab0
sabtty1: <ttyb> on sab0

Thanks for any help you can offer,

-T

--
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet,
you can't win.