ponderous 'make world' times post GCC 3.3...

Harti Brandt brandt at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Aug 13 09:12:23 PDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Steve Ames wrote:

> [...]

Well, you're the 2nd one who reports that nothing has changed. Several
people however report, that they see the 3x increase. And I see it myself,
no matter how often I look at this. Today I tried to build the vinum
module:

gcc-3.3.1	yesterday's kernel	132 + 85 + 20
gcc-3.2.2	yesterday's kernel	131 + 85 + 22
gcc-3.2.2	kernel from June 1st	 52 + 27 +  7

Exactly the same config and the same world (except for gcc).

This is an Ultra10. Perhaps it depends on the sparc model?

harti
--
harti brandt,
http://www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private