Supermicro H8DAE-2 support

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu Oct 11 11:47:23 PDT 2007

Thomas Ching wrote:
> Hi, Julian:
>
> Thanks for your response. Our existing products (which heavily changed the kernel code) were developed based on the 4.5 kernel that's why we need to stick with it for a short while.
>
> Is there anything I can learn on the tricks you mentioned in your email? I am open to examine all possibilities.
>
> Thanks
> Thomas

It's a pitty you have kernel changes because if you had just userland requirements,
I'd run a 6.2 system and make a 4.5 jail to match the apps.

Since you have kernel changes that won't work. however I'd still suggest
moving up to at least 4.11.
The changes between 4.5 and 4.11 were not that great, but a lot of newer hardware
was supported. Your kernel changes will nearly all apply with minimal change
(if any at all), but you may have a chance to get some newer hardware working easier.
There are also security and bug fixes.. in fact I'd go for a RELENG_4
system (i.e. from the 4 branch but after 4.11..  you compile it yourself).

what KIND of changes? (some changes can be ported forward to 5.x really easy too.
It depends on what kind they are and where they are.