xeon 2.8GHz SMP/NOT test results

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Mon Oct 16 03:32:34 PDT 2006

Kian Mohageri wrote:

> I've never used sysbench (I essentially picked it randomly) so if you know
> it to be a crappy benchmark tool for this sort of thing, do tell.  I'm also
> pretty new at testing performance in general, but I hope someone finds it
> useful anyway.

Maybe you'll be interested in ports/benchmark/unixbench, especially the
context switch and shell scripts benchmarks?

> http://www.zampanosbits.com/smp_tests/

Interesting results, especially for such an early version of the
processor (wrt HTT) - I'd expect much lower gain from HTT. While you're
at it, maybe you could add more results to your benchmark, like change
the timecounter to TSC, use various gcc optimization flags, twiddle
machdep.cpu_idle_hlt, use SMP kernel with HTT disabled in BIOS?