High Pitched Whine

Paul Lipps paul.lipps at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 02:06:26 PDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 1:10 AM, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> The only thing that I can think of that could think of that
> could whine is a flaky magnetic component.
>
> Does the frequency of the whine change if you change HZ?
> Does the whine reduce if the processor is fully compute
> bound?

Yes, the whine actually goes away under a full load. It is
intermittent when the CPU is being stressed intermittently, and of
course constant when the CPU is idle.

I am going to try compiling a new kernel with a reduced HZ setting as
suggested. Is the output of this command:

sysctl kern.clockrate

displaying the current HZ setting? If so it's 1000 at the moment. I
will compile a new kernel using the GENERIC configuration file with
only the HZ option changed to 100 rather then 1000 and report my
findings.