Assignmet of CPUs

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Fri Jun 3 01:08:25 PDT 2005

Hi,

David Landgren wrote:
> David King wrote:
>
>>> Well, round-robin startup would at least be better than always using
>>> one process to start all processes. That would go some of the way
>
>        ^^^^^^^
>
> I did of course mean to say processor here.

Round-robin has does not really work with processes which produce
different loads as those processes would have to move to other CPUs
later to be ale to run. This involves reloading of CPU caches.

The whole problem is not this simple.

NUMA adds here as the memory content is local to CPUs too. Moving a
process to a neighbour is still not this bad compared to moving it to a
different CPU node.

Erich