[FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC2] with SMP Kernel

Cagle, John (ISS-Houston) john.cagle at hp.com
Mon Feb 16 07:32:37 PST 2004

From: Detlef Stracke

> I have a Compaq(HP) DL-360 with two CPU's. I installed it
> with FreeBSD
> 5.0 and after that via cvsup I dated Up to 5.2.1-RC2.
> For my Kernel I used the following parameters:
>
> ----- cut -----
> machine         i386
> cpu             I686_CPU
>
> options         SMP
> device          apic
> ----- cut -----
>
> I build everything how /usr/src/UPDATING describes.
> Additional I disable
> ACPI too. (echo "hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" >> /boot/device.hints)
> Because I cant boot with ACPI on, however. :(
>
> I do a reboot after "make intallworld" and my Compaq starts
> without any
> problems, but no second CPU.
>
> A "sysctl -a | grep -i cpu" shows:
>
> ----- cut -----
> kern.threads.virtual_cpu: 1
> kern.ccpu: 1948
> kern.smp.cpus: 1
> hw.ncpu: 1
> machdep.cpu_idle_hlt: 1
> machdep.hlt_cpus: 0

What version of the BIOS do you have installed?  The latest version is
dated 11/15/2002.

Can you send me the output of the "mptable" command?

Do you know which Operating System is selected in the System
Configuration Utility
(BIOS Setup)?  If you're not familiar with this utility, check out Ch. 4
in this
document: http://tinyurl.com/387z8

Regards,
John