option Hyperthreading

Nicholas Basila mlists at northglobe.com
Fri Sep 12 23:23:47 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 12:19 pm, Eric Masson wrote:

>  Sam> 	I have a quad P-Pro machine (IBM PC-704) running FreeBSD 4.8
>  Sam> p-7, I wanted to know if there is an advantage to enabling
>  Sam> hyperthreading in the kernel config when you are using more
> than 2 Sam> physical processors?
>
> I really doubt PPros have HT capabilities. So in the best case, your
> box won't use HT code.
I've used the PC 704 machines before - they are 6+ year (probably 7
year) old technology. I understand that you can update them by adding
new processor boards, but I doubt they were even upgradeable to a P2,
let alone a P4.
	I worked with several of them - and they all developed problems
recognizing processors, after a couple of years of use.
	Oh well - they do make a sturdy table....

Regards,

Nicholas