option Hyperthreading

Mathias HARY mhary at club-internet.fr
Sat Sep 6 12:15:47 PDT 2003

Sam Napier wrote:
>     I have a quad P-Pro machine (IBM PC-704) running FreeBSD 4.8 p-7, I
> wanted to know if there is an advantage to enabling hyperthreading in
> the kernel config  when you are using more than 2 physical processors?
As Eric Masson said, PPro don't know about hyperthreading as it was
probably only in Intel's engineers's dreams at the time they were
working on the PPro. I've an ALR Revolution (6xPPro 200Mhz/512Kb cache)
and it runs very nice with a SMP kernel. In the best case, hyperthreading
will not slow your PPro machine down.

Enjoy multi-cpu + SCSI !