5.1-R-p2 crashes on SMP with AMI RAID and Intel 1000/Pro

Hartmann, O. ohartman at klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
Wed Aug 13 11:29:39 PDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Hartmann, O. wrote:

:>On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
:>
:>:>On 2003.08.13 10:59:19 +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>:>
:>:>> It seems to me a never ending story. We run a box with a TYAN Thunder
:>:>> 2500 Dual SMP mainboard, 2GB ECC Tyan certified memory, AMI Enterprise
:>:>> 1600 RAID adapter and additional Intel 1000/Pro server type (64 bit)
:>:>> GBit LAN NIC. With FreeBSD 4.8 this was stable, but to achive this
:>:>> state was really hard! It is a story similar to that what happend when
:>:>> we changed towards FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 on this machine.
:>:>
:>:>Have you tried with a more powerful PSU?  I have had problems with Tyan
:>:>boards that were crashing very often, and it turned out to be a
:>:>bad/insufficient PSU.  It worked sometimes, and sometimes it just
:>:>crashed.
:>:>
:>:>Just a wild guess, but might be worth checking out.
:>:>
:>:>--
:>:>Simon L. Nielsen
:>:>FreeBSD Documentation Team
:>:>
:>
:>Dear Simon.
:>
:>Yes, we did. At this moment we have a redundant 300W PSU and it
:>worked fine.
:>
:>I think if the PSU causes problems, typical hardware errors or spontanous
:>reboots might be a indicator, but not the problem of freezing kernel.
:>In earlier times, when we ordered the TYAN board and its housing, we were
:>made aware of this problem by some FreeBSD users which had problems with
:>low power PSU.
:>
:>Thanks,
:>Oliver
:>--
:>MfG
:>O. Hartmann

Did today a shutdown after a crash and I got the follwoing freezing:

cpu_reset: Stopping other CPUs
panic: spin lock sched lock held by 0xc3b10ab0 for > 5 seconds
cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 01000000

seems to be something wierd ... OS or power?

Oliver
:>
:>ohartman at mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
:>------------------------------------------------------------------
:>Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
:>------------------------------------------------------------------
:>Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
:>Becherweg 21
:>55099 Mainz