Pretec and Transcend 32G CF cards failing in FreeBSD (Linux works)

Heikki Suonsivu hsu at wlansystems.com
Wed Oct 29 14:55:54 UTC 2008

I have tried to use Pretec and Transcend 32G CF cards with FreeBSD, but
I get DMA timeouts on these cards.  Previously used Sandisk Extreme III
8G and 16G CF cards work fine.  The cards are new UDMA cards, which may
or may not have something to do with this.

The symptoms are similar to what you see when you try to use bad IDE-CF
adapter, which does not have DMA pins wired, but this hardware should be ok.

Linux works and says and card is UDMA33.  The performance and CPU usage
seems what one would expect from UDMA33 device.  On Sandisk cards, I get
DMA with FreeBSD but only WDMA2 (I do not know if they support more).

The hardware is DMP eBOX 4300 or DMA-enabled CF-2.5" converter from
pcengines.ch.

Anyone seen this?

I can arrange the hardware for testing, preferable in Finland, if anyone
wants to look at it?

Heikki Suonsivu
Wireless LAN Systems Ltd
+358405519679