What's our standard "stripped-down FreeBSD" tool?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Jul 25 10:08:06 UTC 2007

Olivier Gautherot wrote:
> Hi Michael!
>
> On Tuesday 24 July 2007 22:21, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Been researching building stripped-down versions of FreBSD for flash
> > drives and suchforth.  It seems that we have three big contenders in
> > this area:
> >
> > Freesbie
> > NanoBSD
> > TinyBSD
>
> I've had a good experience with FreesBIE so I would recommend it but I'm sure
> others will defend NanoBSD and TinyBSD ;-) FreesBIE may be more CDROM
> oriented so Nano and Tiny are probably better guesses for Flash but I don't
> have first hand experience.
>
> Cheers
> Olivier
>

> > Are any of these particularly stronger than the other?  If I was to
> > start over, or recommend one to someone else, which would be the best
> > these days?

"How long is a piece of string" ;-) ie likely depends what size
flash drive is !  My impression (non user) is Freesbie aims CD size,
whereas Nano or Tiny aim [a lot] smaller ?

man nanobsd:
	 doesnt quote a typical size but does have SEE ALSO picobsd
man picobsd:
	"which typically fits on a small media such as a floppy disk"
	"The biggest problem is determining what will fit on the floppies"

Suggestion: run them, generate images & use send-pr to report approx
default sizes to be included in manuals so we know for future.

--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.