What's our standard "stripped-down FreeBSD" tool?

Matteo Riondato matteo at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 25 09:23:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 11:52:43PM -0400, Olivier Gautherot wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 July 2007 22:21, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Been researching building stripped-down versions of FreBSD for flash
> > drives and suchforth.  It seems that we have three big contenders in
> > this area:
> >
> > Freesbie
> > NanoBSD
> > TinyBSD
>
> I've had a good experience with FreesBIE so I would recommend it but I'm sure
> others will defend NanoBSD and TinyBSD ;-) FreesBIE may be more CDROM
> oriented so Nano and Tiny are probably better guesses for Flash but I don't
> have first hand experience.

I agree with your view. FreeSBIE is more CDROM oriented, still it can be
used to build an image suitable for a flash card or an usb pen (check
the "img" and "flash" maketargets of FreeSBIE)  but my task for
the summer is to make FreeSBIE even more flexible and make it easier to
build images for Flash/USB.

Best regards
--
Matteo Riondato