FreeBSD's embedded agenda

Dario Freni saturnero at freesbie.org
Fri May 26 13:52:37 PDT 2006

nec556 at retena.com ha scritto:
>> What "Freesbie" are you talking about? Phk was referring to the second
>> version of the toolkit I presented recently in Ottawa, that is perfectly
>> usable for embedded system and it's ready to welcome new platforms. It
>> is already ported for powerpc architecture and I want it to be ported to
>> the arm and other archs (I don't have the hardware). Porting is really
>> trivial. I suggest you to take a look:
>>

> It works for powerpc??  Is it available for download or only via cvs?

I made only test ISOs and usb images to proof the toolkit works, during
the former SoC.

>> http://www.freesbie.org/~saturnero/FreeSBIE-BSDCan06-devsummit.pdf
>>
>> anonymous at cvs.freesbie.org module freesbie2 or:
>> http://bugs.freesbie.org/dir?d=freesbie2
>
> Also, you have forget that a flash memory is not needed, our device just have a little rom with a micro o.s. (Contiki) and download the real o.s. from ethernet using tftp. The storage system is on a server, where each device has a 'slice' for each one.

Yes, an interesting idea is to make a ISO/image with a PXE server
environment already configured, so you can use i.e. in a lab to make all
machines booting diskless.

--
Dario Freni (saturnero at freesbie.org)
FreeSBIE developer (http://www.freesbie.org)