Eclipse for Embedded FreeBSD?

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Mon May 15 12:47:25 UTC 2006

CC list trimmed.

On Sun, 14 May 2006, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:

> At Sun, 14 May 2006 14:44:32 -0400 (EDT),
> Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
>> But the GUI-based tools to configure VxWorks, Linux, CE, or
>> whatever, are attractive to the majority of developers and most
>> especially look good to the people who are responsible for
>> justifying and buying them.  _We_ might snub our noses at such
>> tools, but they look good to others.
>
> See, I thought you were being sarcastic, so, mea culpa.  I think it's
> what we'll have to do as well, but I don't think I'll be writing it.
> No one wants to see my UI skills :-)

I've written some Java GUIs for our simulations and controllers.
The actual UI part is easy enough, it's what has to happen
behind the scene that would take some thought.

>> Well, see above.  A GUI-based configuration tool, with tree-like
>> heirarchy of dependencies and space requirements would be useful.
>> Eclipse seems to be the standard for such things, but I admit I've
>> never used it.
>>

> I've not used it either.
>
>> And for industrial controls and military applications, a VME bus
>> (nexus) driver supporting device drivers and mmap'able VME A32, A24,
>> & A16 space would be great.
>
> I think we'll need someone working in those areas first, unless, well,
> you're volunteering ;-)

If I had no job, I would love to do that.  But realJob keeps me
busy enough so that I have limited time.

There is someone that monitors the FreeBSD lists that would
be willing to provide VME drivers for their VME-based SBCs,
given enough need.  That would be great, but it'd be nice
to have some sort of support for it in the tree, rather than
something like the NVidia driver that may or may not work.

--
DE