Eclipse for Embedded FreeBSD?

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Sun May 14 19:21:39 UTC 2006

At Sun, 14 May 2006 14:44:32 -0400 (EDT),
Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > Would you prefer Linux or CE then? ;-)
>
> No, I confess I still use a series of makefiles using ln,
> lndir, cp, et. al. to build vxWorks images.  One reason I
> dislike vxWorks is that you need write rights to the
> installation directory, and it annoys the hell out of me
> that I have to work around it so that anyone without
> privileges can build.

My condolences, but it beats their configuration tool, I know, I
worked there :-)

> But the GUI-based tools to configure VxWorks, Linux, CE, or
> whatever, are attractive to the majority of developers and most
> especially look good to the people who are responsible for
> justifying and buying them.  _We_ might snub our noses at such
> tools, but they look good to others.

See, I thought you were being sarcastic, so, mea culpa.  I think it's
what we'll have to do as well, but I don't think I'll be writing it.
No one wants to see my UI skills :-)

> Well, see above.  A GUI-based configuration tool, with tree-like
> heirarchy of dependencies and space requirements would be useful.
> Eclipse seems to be the standard for such things, but I admit I've
> never used it.

I've not used it either.

> And for industrial controls and military applications, a VME bus
> (nexus) driver supporting device drivers and mmap'able VME A32, A24,
> & A16 space would be great.

I think we'll need someone working in those areas first, unless, well,
you're volunteering ;-)

Later,
George