bootable PCI flash slot?

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Oct 22 07:30:28 PDT 2004

Hi Howard,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 03:10:18PM +0100, Howard Jones wrote:

> I've just finished preparing a FreeBSD-based flash-booting
> router/firewall, which is currently using a DiskOnModule to boot from.
> If possible, I'd like the flash to be externally accessible to make
> upgrading or moving the flash a little simpler. Does anyone know of a
> PCI-slot flash carrier that can present itself as a bootable IDE drive
> with an external slot? I've found some PCI-PCMCIA cards, but they all
> talk about Windows compatibility, and appear to be aimed at digital
> camera users more than anything...

At least some of the Casetronic CF readers come with a PCI carrier:

http://www.casetronic.com/products/Products_Accessory.asp

I don't remember if I used the models for the C146/C147 or C137 cases
though. They worked fine with 5.x.

Be sure to set the "disk" to CHS mode in the bios.

Best regards,

--
Francois Tigeot