How to make the kernel small, smaller, smallest?

Alexandre ahb at skynet.be
Fri Apr 25 01:21:52 PDT 2003

Actually as far as PicoBSD goes the easiest in the beggining is to just
copy the bridge folder into a new one

Do your kernel modifications but in your crunch.conf don't change
anything if you are not certain what you need (except maybe for the sh
tinyware) 'cos you will need a lot more than just sh and init (You need
tools to decompress the kernel, and if your root file system is not
together woth the mfs the it needs to be mounted). Then once that's done
start removing program from crunch.conf patiently, reading the manuals
and so on.

Oinit is not the best choice, it does not provide password login, so if
your box is to be connected to the net not good.

here is the example of a kerner file (size here big cos is used over
etherboot), also there is no mouse or keyboard support, nor video, it
boots up via the serial port.

#
# $FreeBSD: src/release/picobsd/router/PICOBSD,v 1.6.2.3 2002/03/13
18:16:53 luigi Exp $
#
#Line starting with #PicoBSD contains PicoBSD build parameters
#marker        def_sz  init    MFS_inodes      floppy_inodes
#PicoBSD       10000     init   4096            32768
options MD_ROOT_SIZE=10000

machine        i386
cpu        I486_CPU
ident        PICOBSD
maxusers    1

options    MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation
options        INET            #InterNETworking
options        FFS            #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options        FFS_ROOT        #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options        MFS            #Memory Filesystem
options        MD_ROOT            #MFS as root
options        COMPAT_43        #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options        USERCONFIG        #boot -c editor
options        NO_SWAPPING

device    isa0

device        npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

device        sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device        sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
options     CONSPEED=19200

device ep0 at isa? #port 0x300 irq 10
pseudo-device    loop
pseudo-device    ether