ASLR/PIE status in FreeBSD HEAD

Marcin Wojtas mw at semihalf.com
Tue May 5 10:04:04 UTC 2020

pon., 4 maj 2020 o 17:24 Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> napisał(a):

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 10:22, Marcin Wojtas <mw at semihalf.com> wrote:
> >
> > Indeed I thought of kyua and measuring buildworld execution time for
> > stressing the DUT and having the first comparison numbers for the low
> > price.
> >
> > Do you think it is possible to get help here, i.e. is there a FreeBSD
> > devops team, maintaining the Jenkins CI whose spare cycles could be
> > used for this purpose? Or is this a field requiring external help from
> > interested parties?
>
> There aren't a lot of spare cycles to go around, but putting
> automation in place so that tests like this can easily be performed is
> certainly something that's in the Jenkins team's domain.

Of course the available bandwidth is a limitation, but IMO we should
start with defining the requirements so that eventually it could be
added to the backlog.

> > Yes, making use of something actively maintained would be great. Do
> > you see a need for IO stressing/benchmarking for the discussed cases?
>
> In the fullness of time I think it's important, but my opinion is that
> it's really functional tests that we need, for enabling features in
> -CURRENT; we can work on benchmarking before and after changing a
> default.

Understood. Since there seem to be no blockers / major objections at
this point, how do you suggest proceed with the topic? How about
having a live discussion with interested parties, so that we can
establish at least a rough plan allowing to achieve the enablement of
this (and possibly other) feature in a foreseeable perspective?

Best regards,
Marcin