ASLR/PIE status in FreeBSD HEAD

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Mon May 4 15:24:11 UTC 2020

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 at 10:22, Marcin Wojtas <mw at semihalf.com> wrote:

> Indeed I thought of kyua and measuring buildworld execution time for
> stressing the DUT and having the first comparison numbers for the low
> price.
>
> Do you think it is possible to get help here, i.e. is there a FreeBSD
> devops team, maintaining the Jenkins CI whose spare cycles could be
> used for this purpose? Or is this a field requiring external help from
> interested parties?

There aren't a lot of spare cycles to go around, but putting
automation in place so that tests like this can easily be performed is
certainly something that's in the Jenkins team's domain.

> Yes, making use of something actively maintained would be great. Do
> you see a need for IO stressing/benchmarking for the discussed cases?

In the fullness of time I think it's important, but my opinion is that
it's really functional tests that we need, for enabling features in
-CURRENT; we can work on benchmarking before and after changing a
default.