Enumerating glibc dependencies

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 3 13:49:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 12:58, Roger Marquis wrote:
> > Is FreeBSD glib always linked to libc (vs glibc)?
>
> Apparently it is, at least on the systems I've tested where there were no
> glibc dependencies at all.  Another item added to the list of BSD
> (security) advantages.

Unless you're building a Frankenstein OS you should never come across a
situation where a native FreeBSD binary is linked to glibc. (I'm not
even sure it's possible!) Linux uses glibc for their libc reference, we
use our own.

If you are running native Linux binaries via the linuxulator you will
certainly be using glibc for those binaries. Those programs could be
vulnerable to glibc issues.