Enumerating glibc dependencies

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:11:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Roger Marquis <marquis at roble.com> wrote:
>> Is FreeBSD glib always linked to libc (vs glibc)?
>

> Apparently it is, at least on the systems I've tested where there were no
> glibc dependencies at all.  Another item added to the list of BSD
> (security) advantages.

I believe there is a bit of confusion on the list. My assumption for
why the OP wants to determine glibc dependencies is the vulnerability
in gethostbyname. However, many people on the list seem to be looking
for devel/glib dependencies. devel/glib in FreeBSD's ports is
unrelated to glibc (take a peek at the pkg-info file for this port for
more info). GLib is a component of GNOME:
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/
The library that contains the glibc vulnerability is the GNU C Library:
https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/