getting the running patch level

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 10:12:41 UTC 2012

On 09/08/2012 23:13, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 03:31:25PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>> > I realize that sysinstall is deprecated in favor of the new installer, but
>> > the new installer doesn't have the ability to install binary packages.
>> > Until and unless there's a convenient menu-based installer for binary
>> > packages, would it be possible to fix this glitch?

> There is always pkgng, granted it is not menu-driven.

No reason pkgng couldn't be wrapped in some sort of menuing system.  In
fact, it's probably quite a lot easier than doing the same sort of thing
with the old pkg_tools.

Also, pkgdb functionality is expressed through libpkg.so.1, meaning that
hooking it up to a different front-end should be a small matter of
programming.  There is already a Ruby interface available, and other
languages are being worked on.  The libpkg API is still subject to
incompatible changes at this stage of development: that won't be settled
for quite some time yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3