FW: Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?

asym bsdlists at rfnj.org
Thu Jul 21 17:35:05 GMT 2005

At 13:13 7/21/2005, Stephen Major wrote:

>You do not see a bunch of people asking to make apache part of the base
>system. Really there is no difference in what you are asking. Just another
>program that is not going to get used by everyone.

I'd take exception to this part.

sudo does everything su does, and more, the question seems to be why NOT
replace it?

The (*)"60%" of people that su works fine for, could live with sudo with no
real overhead and no dependencies.
The other (*)"40%" of people that do replace su with sudo would have a
small annoying bit of work negated.

(*)I find your numbers highly suspect.  Probably more like 85-90% of people
don't care / don't know about sudo etc. ;)

Making it part of the base system also negates part of the security issue
associated with having it as a port -- we don't need to track every new
whiz-bang version in the base like we do in ports, we just keep what works,
apply security and bug fixes, and that's it.