freebsd-security Digest, Vol 120, Issue 1

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Jul 20 18:53:50 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:00:36PM +0000, freebsd-security-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> From: Joachim Str?mbergson <watchman at ludd.ltu.se>
> Subject: Adding OpenBSD sudo to the FreeBSD base system?
> To: freebsd-security at freebsd.org
>
> Aloha!
>
> (I've Googled around a bit, but failed to find much previous posts about
> this though I'm sure it has been discussed...)
>
> Have anybody (in core etc) considered adding a sudo implementation to
> thr FreeBSD base system. At least for me, sudo is an important part of
> implementing good security policy in FreeBSD.

  If core wanted to do this, I'd think it a great idea.  I haven't
installed a single FreeBSD (or for that matter any *nix) system in the
last 8 years where sudo wasn't one of the first things I put onto it.

> Yes, it is available as a port, but in a similar fashion of for example,
> isn't sudo important enough to be included as an imported tool in the
> base system?

  Usually I've installed it as a package off the install CD, before the
system is even booted the first time.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
  "My own personal theory is that this is the very dawn of the world.
We're hardly more than an eyeblink away from the fall of Troy, and
scarcely an interglaciation removed from the Altamira cave painters. We
live in extremely interesting ancient times.
  I like this idea. It encourages us to be earnest and ingenious and
brave, as befits ancestral peoples; but keeps us from deciding that
because we don't know all the answers, they must be unknowable and thus
unprofitable to pursue."  -- Teresa Nielsen Hayden, 1995