FBSD All-in-one security box?

G. Panula greg.panula at lexisnexis.com
Thu Nov 6 03:45:03 PST 2003

twig les wrote:
> Hey *, as I sweat through another day of crap dealing with an
> all-in-one box (firewall, IDS, AVS, report generating, soon to
> be a VPN server) I'm wondering if someone has started a project
> to put some freeware together in some semblance of sanity on a
> FBSD box.  There's basically nothing that this box does that a
> combo of IPFW (or another bsd filter), snort, ntop, and some
> other freeware stuff can't do.
>
> As usual the problems I face stem from feature-overload, since
> the vendor has one crappy feature and then adds another crappy
> feature instead of fixing the first one so they can market the
> box better.  I'm thinking that since the tools I mentioned are
> already fairly mature and robust, all that's needed is some
> sewing and, when core functionality is achieved, a GUI.
>
> This sounds like a fun project IMO, but I don't want to
> re-invent the wheel, especially when I have no spare time.

http://www.netboz.net/ is a self-contained bootable cd that provides
firewall, nat, dns, dhcp and vpn(in beta currently).  Just need a floppy
to write configs to and you're off&running.  yup, its fbsd based.

I've only played with it a little, but it was solid enough.  I think it
is just missing IDS&AVS from your wishlist above.  Online demo available
at: https://demo.netboz.net/

greg