IPFW logging brokeness?

Avleen Vig lists-freebsd at silverwraith.com
Fri May 30 15:22:56 PDT 2003

I don't think I'm trying to do anything amazing, but IPFW's logging
features are giving me a real headache. I can't find much in the
archives either, but I find it hard to believe others havne't found this
too.

My rule:
add 100 allow log tcp from any to <my IP> <ports> limit src-addr 2

I want connecting parties to be able to form no more than 2 connection.
This works perfectly, jsut as I'd expect it to.
Except for 'log'.

This rule matches every packet that comes in to the given IP and ports,
and as a result, one line is added to the security log per packet. There
are a lot of packets.
I tried, adding an "add 50 check-state", but that rule doesn't match
(the log just carries on logging packets because they match 100), which
is very odd.

All I want is to have the first packet match of a connection match, like
IPF's "log first" capability.

Or, better yet, is there a way to format a rule or set of rules, to say
"deny if established connections is greater than 2".
Logging every one of these packets would be fine.

Any suggestions?

--
Avleen Vig                   "Say no to cheese-eating surrender-monkeys"
Systems Admin                "Fast, Good, Cheap. Pick any two."