Attempting ATA TRIM on SAS devices?

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Wed Jan 8 23:17:58 UTC 2014

<<On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 21:27:34 -0000, "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk> said:

> I know its spec says its SAS but can you plug this drive into a
> SATA controller such as on board Intel controller?

Not easily; it's in a separate enclosure.  It does have the standard
dual-port SAS connector on it, and we are running it dual-ported
(active/passive, not active/active, at least for the moment).

> If so does work and then it correctly support delete's?

I don't have any way to confirm this.  We're just using these drives
as ZFS cache, so it doesn't make a huge difference to us one way or
the other.

-GAWollman