Attempting ATA TRIM on SAS devices?

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 21:27:26 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garrett Wollman" <wollman at csail.mit.edu>
To: "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk>
Cc: <freebsd-scsi at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: Attempting ATA TRIM on SAS devices?

> <<On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 20:36:13 -0000, "Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk> said:
>
>> It should only do this if your drive reports it supports
>> ATA_TRIM by setting the ATA_SUPPORT_DSM_TRIM bit in the
>> response to an ATA_IDENTIFY command sent to it using ATA
>> passthrough.
>
>> What does the following report:
>> camcontrol identify da12
>
> It says:
>
> pass13: <TALOS2 2.25> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
> pass13: 600.000MB/s transfers, Command Queueing Enabled
>
> protocol              ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 3.x
> device model          TALOS2
> firmware revision     2.25
> serial number         A179E011337000251
> WWN                   5e83a97a101b6024
> cylinders             16383
> heads                 16
> sectors/track         63
> sector size           logical 512, physical 512, offset 0
> LBA supported         468883199 sectors
> LBA48 supported       468883199 sectors
> PIO supported         PIO4
> DMA supported         WDMA2 UDMA6
> media RPM             non-rotating
>
> Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
> read ahead                     yes      no
> write cache                    yes      no
> flush cache                    yes      yes
> overlap                        no
> Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no       no
> Native Command Queuing (NCQ)   yes              32 tags
> SMART                          yes      yes
> microcode download             yes      yes
> security                       yes      no
> power management               yes      yes
> advanced power management      yes      yes     254/0xFE
> automatic acoustic management  no       no
> media status notification      no       no
> power-up in Standby            yes      no
> write-read-verify              yes      no      0/0x0
> unload                         yes      yes
> free-fall                      no       no
> Data Set Management (DSM/TRIM) yes
> DSM - max 512byte blocks       yes              1
> DSM - deterministic read       yes              any value
> Host Protected Area (HPA)      yes      no      468883199/1
> HPA - Security                 no
>
> A very similar device (firmware 2.15 instead of 2.25) in a 9.1 system
> returns no results to this command.  Not sure if that's 9.1/9.2
> difference of a firmware difference.

That will be 9.1 -> 9.2 differences.

So as suspected your drive is reporting it supports ATA_TRIM but
then refusing the command.

Now the question is why?

The most likely cause is a firmware bug.

I know its spec says its SAS but can you plug this drive into a
SATA controller such as on board Intel controller? If so does
work and then it correctly support delete's?

Note: The CAM SCSI layer currently prefers ATA_TRIM over UNMAP as in
all tests I've done it performs better.

    Regards
    Steve