Intel SRCU42E

Deomid Ryabkov myself at rojer.pp.ru
Fri Oct 6 13:24:27 PDT 2006

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
> Is the above controller supported?
> man amr reports SRCU42X (same model but PCI-X instead of PCI-E) and
> MegaRAID SCSI 320-2E (which should be the same as SRCU42E) working, so I
> would suppose so, but I thought I'd better ask before buying.

yes, they are both supported by amr(4), but of these two,
i'd recommend to go with LSI's MegaRAID, rather than Intel's flavor.
first, 320-2E has a better IOP than -2X (e.g., should be faster - but not that i have tested)
second, intel, in their version of bios, has completely removed the text version of configurator
(i.e. Ctrl-M), only leaving GUI. not only is it inconvenient to navigate without a mouse (tab, tab, tab...),
but it is impossible to create an array - you are supposed to select disks by ctrl-clicking and tehre is no other way (at least i couldn't figure out).
so you pretty much have to have a mouse to manage your arrays from bios, which sucks.
in all other respects Intel SRC* and LSI's controllers are pretty much the same hardware.

--
Deomid Ryabkov aka Rojer
myself at rojer.pp.ru
rojer at sysadmins.ru