Point in the right direction

David Godsey dave at godseyfamily.com
Thu Sep 21 07:17:00 PDT 2006

Thanks to all who have replied.  I was asking because I was reading about
the 6.x kernel and how the big mother of kernel locking was removed in
this kernel, so I assumed realtime FreeBSD would be ramping up.  Sadly,
not a lot of activity in the realtime yet.

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:41:36AM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>> "David Godsey" wrote:
>> > So I have been combing the internet for information on realtime
>> FreeBSD,
>> > but the information is limited.  So there must be some more
>> information
>> > out there, but I do not know where to look.  Can someone direct me
>> please?
>>
>> I'd guessed there was also an embedded list but can't see it at
>> 	http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/
>> Other lists may have related interests, eg freebsd-small & freebsd-ppc
>> NanoBSD (& some other small type keyword I can't remember) may  be
>> worth searching on
>
> The fine-grain locking and preemption in 6- and -current
> *should* be most of what is required to move towards realtime.
> Perhaps throw in a different scheduler for good measure.
> Having said that, I don't think that anyone is busy doing any
> characterisation of worst-case path lengths and lock-holds,
> which is the other side of the equation.
>
> --
> Andrew

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort.

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid
people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?

David Godsey