[RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Mon May 9 18:02:50 UTC 2011

Gordon,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 10:19:50AM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Jason Hellenthal <jhell at dataix.net> wrote:
> > Dump you rc.conf to two place. home-lan.conf and away-lan.conf and use
> > chmod to turn one or the other off. You can still have a global set of
> > services enabled in rc.conf but still be able to choose a way for them to
> > act by adding the _flags or even _enable rc_vars to each.
> >
> > Since this processes after rc.conf* you could treat those config's as just
> > modifiers to get a certain behavior as they override what is in rc.conf*
> > in the same way that rc.conf overrides etc/defaults/rc.conf. How you name
> > them can clearly depict what it does as well. This is one reason why I
> > mainly went with adding the -x bit because these can coexist with a full
> > rc.conf but be changed quickly when you want a certain behavior.
>
> For everything else in the proposal, I feel the use of the execute bit
> is incorrect. Nowhere else in the system is there a precedent of using
> the execute bit to toggle on and off a configuration file. You can no
> longer do a simple 'grep foo_enable *.conf' and see which active files
> have that set. I would prefer to use the pattern established by many
> 3rd parties and use the convention that you may mv the file out of the
> way so it no longer matches the *.conf glob. Something like 'mv
> foo.conf foo.conf.disable' is unambiguous and can easily be searched
> with a simple ls or grep command. Using the execute bit is less
> transparent, unprecedented, and confusing.

Ok, I do agree with you on this. There is another route that I propose the
same type of thing but in the style or sense of a lockfile. Not that it
actually locks anything but would make it visable enough to where it can
be disabled in-place rather than moved around.

It would act similiar to this in shell:

if [ -f $_modular_conf -a ! -f $_modular_conf.disable ]; then
[...]

Then to disable one config someone can still do so without cp/mv and just
touch or rm /etc/rc.conf.d/my-conf.conf.disable

How does that sound to you ? and everyone else ?

--

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal