[RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

Gordon Tetlow gordon at tetlows.org
Mon May 9 17:19:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Jason Hellenthal <jhell at dataix.net> wrote:
> Dump you rc.conf to two place. home-lan.conf and away-lan.conf and use
> chmod to turn one or the other off. You can still have a global set of
> services enabled in rc.conf but still be able to choose a way for them to
> act by adding the _flags or even _enable rc_vars to each.
>
> Since this processes after rc.conf* you could treat those config's as just
> modifiers to get a certain behavior as they override what is in rc.conf*
> in the same way that rc.conf overrides etc/defaults/rc.conf. How you name
> them can clearly depict what it does as well. This is one reason why I
> mainly went with adding the -x bit because these can coexist with a full
> rc.conf but be changed quickly when you want a certain behavior.

For everything else in the proposal, I feel the use of the execute bit
is incorrect. Nowhere else in the system is there a precedent of using
the execute bit to toggle on and off a configuration file. You can no
longer do a simple 'grep foo_enable *.conf' and see which active files
have that set. I would prefer to use the pattern established by many
3rd parties and use the convention that you may mv the file out of the
way so it no longer matches the *.conf glob. Something like 'mv
foo.conf foo.conf.disable' is unambiguous and can easily be searched
with a simple ls or grep command. Using the execute bit is less
transparent, unprecedented, and confusing.

Regards,
Gordon