Annoying ERROR: 'wlan0' is not a DHCP-enabled interface

Eygene Ryabinkin rea at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 26 09:01:02 UTC 2011

Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:43:35AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/26/2011 00:40, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> > Doug, how that can be a failure?
>
> How does anything fail? Isn't that why you call it a "failure" instead
> of a "success?"

Doug, I am sorry, but let's drop the theoretical discussions about how
things are failing -- this is out of scope.  Back to the message
you're replying to:
{{{
Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:20:11AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/26/2011 00:17, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> > The error message "'$ifn' is not a DHCP-enabled interface" is not
> > generated when $ifn is DHCP-enabled interface,
>
> That's precisely the failure I'm concerned about.
}}}
I am translating the whole dialog to the following one:
 - rea:   error message "<foo> am not a cat" isn't generated when the
          <foo> is a cat.
 - dougb: that's the failure I am concerned about.
 - rea:   how this can be a failure to refuse to say "something isn't
          a cat" when it _is_ a cat?
 - dougb: how does anything fail?  Isn't that why you call it a "failure"
          instead of a "success"?

Please, tell specifically, what is the failure you're concerned about
and how it will affect people who use FreeBSD?

> But if Gleb is right and the problem is new to HEAD, when did it change,
> and why?

Doug, had you read the initial message of the thread?  It is on
  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2011-November/002472.html

To ease the life, I can answer that
 - the problem was introduced in r226879
 - by me
 - I was fixing my previous commit that generated r226464
 - the purpose of r226464 was to fix the rc_force check in dhclient
   script

> I get that you're motivated by the best of intentions. My concern
> remains that we're trying fix the symptom rather than the root cause.

Let me ask the simple question: what do you think is the root cause
you're talking about?
--
Eygene Ryabinkin                                        ,,,^..^,,,
[ Life's unfair - but root password helps!           | codelabs.ru ]