A more thorough "Starting foo:" solution

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 14 18:02:25 UTC 2009

Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2009-10-11 22:54, Doug Barton wrote:
>> After giving this a more thorough look I realized that there were
>> quite a few places where $rc_quiet was being used directly in an rc.d
>> script (16 scripts total).
>>
>> I've already committed this to HEAD in order to try and make the MFC
>> deadline to potentially get it into 8.0, but I do want to give y'all a
>> chance to review this change as well.
>>
>> If anyone objects to this change being MFC'ed to 8.0-RELEASE, or has
>> other comments or suggestions please speak up ASAP.
>
> I see no problems with MFC'ing, this is a nice way of cleaning up.

Thanks.

> That said, there are still quite a number of scripts in rc.d that don't
> check rc_quiet at all, and just echo whatever they like.
>
> Therefore, couldn't all those "check_startmsgs && echo foo" constructs,
> plus the other echo's be replaced with, say, a spam() function from
> /etc/rc.subr?  This function can then check in one central location for
> rc_startmsgs and decide whether to spam the console or not.
>
> One could even start implementing some verbosity level using this... :)

My intention was to give users the option to get back to where things
were before they were fiddled with in time for the release. I actually
gave some thought along similar lines when I was working on this patch
since there are some things that I restored that I personally don't
care about seeing.

I look forward to reviewing your patches. :)

Doug