A more thorough "Starting foo:" solution

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Wed Oct 14 09:45:41 UTC 2009

On 2009-10-11 22:54, Doug Barton wrote:
> After giving this a more thorough look I realized that there were
> quite a few places where $rc_quiet was being used directly in an rc.d
> script (16 scripts total).
>
> I've already committed this to HEAD in order to try and make the MFC
> deadline to potentially get it into 8.0, but I do want to give y'all a
> chance to review this change as well.
>
> If anyone objects to this change being MFC'ed to 8.0-RELEASE, or has
> other comments or suggestions please speak up ASAP.

I see no problems with MFC'ing, this is a nice way of cleaning up.

That said, there are still quite a number of scripts in rc.d that don't
check rc_quiet at all, and just echo whatever they like.

Therefore, couldn't all those "check_startmsgs && echo foo" constructs,
plus the other echo's be replaced with, say, a spam() function from
/etc/rc.subr?  This function can then check in one central location for
rc_startmsgs and decide whether to spam the console or not.

One could even start implementing some verbosity level using this... :)