zfs q regarding backup strategy

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Oct 3 09:46:54 UTC 2021

On 10/2/21 16:21, tech-lists wrote:

> OK. if I think I understand correctly then if we need to keep everything
> then I'll need to keep every incremental snapshot.

ZFS is novel and complex.  It requires different thinking than
traditional partitions/ slices, volumes, filesystems, etc..  I suggest
that you build a FreeBSD VM, give it an extra disk, and play with ZFS.
When you think you understand how to create, use, modify, and destroy
pools, datasets, properties, and snapshots, add another disk, create
another pool, and play with replication.  Then you will understand
whether or not ZFS makes sense for your systems and operations/
maintenance/ disaster preparedness procedures.

David