OS to replace FreeBSD

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Mar 21 20:24:33 UTC 2021

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 20:03:28 +0100, Ralf Mardorf stated:
>On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 14:13:29 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>>It is akin to turning off the warning bell on a fire
>>alarm.
>
>Analogies are clumsy. You are right that a workaround isn't an optimal
>solution, it's just a limited path to get things done, but OTOH it
>probably is a help to continue using your machine, without the need of
>any additional struggle.
>
>Since Intel doesn't support almost all GPUs for Linux usage anymore and
>the only workarounds are using mainline Linux kernels by dropping the
>"intel" driver in favour of the "modesetting" driver, just to run into
>other issue, or to build longterm supported older Linux kernels, I
>decided to build longterm supported older Linux kernels, as long as
>possible.
>
>>sooner or later it will blow up in your face.
>
>Maybe, OTOH the situation might change. I might need to buy new
>hardware anyway, Intel and/or the Linux community might support my GPU
>again or I even don't want to use Linux at all, even if it should work
>without issues on my machine.
>
>IIUC you need USB ports for 2 input devices at this very moment and if
>you disable USB3, you still would get the needed USB ports.
>
>This is a starting point, since IIUC it's possible to install a
>new release of FreeBSD by turning of the fire siren and to build your
>individual configured kernel, by abandoning something that isn't a
>must-have at this very moment. The fire won't kill you or even take
>away something you currently need. If you should need an additional USB
>port, a workaround such as using an USB hub likely does the job, at
>least as a temporarily solution.

I require, at any given time, a minimum of four fully functional USB
ports. Now, 3.x ports are not absolutely necessary; however, I am paying
for them so I sort of would like for them to work. Otherwise, it is like
buying a Ferrari and never exceeding 40 MPH. A total waste if you get
the idea.

However, the path you have mentioned is one I am considering.

--
Jerry