OS to replace FreeBSD

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Mar 21 19:49:49 UTC 2021

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 15:04:16 -0400, Aryeh Friedman stated:
>On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 2:26 PM Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> You are a complete asshole. The simple fact the the controller in
>> question, and here I am assuming it is the controller, does not
>> function correctly under FreeBSD, versions >= 11.x, but apparently
>> does function under other OSs, is prima facie proof that it is not
>> supported.
>
>As has been pointed out *MANY* times already in the thread just because
>other OS's make something work by being lazy about how a standard is
>implemented does not mean there is nothing non-standard with any given
>hardware.   It only means that if anything the other OS's are being
>less strict then they should be about how they interpret the standard
>thus when a OS that actually does care about that strictness and doing
>things "right" has a problem with the non-standard hardware it is the
>fault of the OS?!?!?!   That is as insane as the NRA saying bullets
>from guns don't kill people.

Again, and without proof, you are placing the blame on something other
than FreeBSD. For the record, you are claiming that EVERY OTHER
OPERATING SYSTEM IS BEING LAZY ABOUT HOW STANDARDS, (I love standards,
there are so many to choose from) ARE IMPLEMENTED. Is that correct?

>> I have seen zero proof that anyone is actively working on this
>> phenomenon. The fact the the bug was first reported over a year ago
>> would seem to indicate that it is not attracting any attention. The
>> fact that it did work once under older versions reinforces my belief
>> that someone screwed up the code in the newer versions.
>>

>HPS offering to look into it in detail 18 days ago with a bunch of
>other work done on it late last month means it is being actively
>worked on.   HPS even asked for SSH access to the machine which is
>quite doable of a live CD/memstick which in itself does not  require
>an install.... so the bottom line is you have been given many many
>opportunities to help out and you refuse to do any of them... the only
>thing you do is sit here and whine about how no one is fixing it --
>how are they supposed to fix it if you refuse to at least help there
>testing?

Hans Petter Selasky asked if it was possible to get access to the PC,
not that he wanted access himself. I am certainly not going to allow
someone to access a machine that I use in production to be butchered
up. In any case, I obviously do not have a PC currently running 12.z
which exhibits the phenomenon in question.

Now, I have a old HP running Win 10 Pro that I need to replace. I am
now thinking of moving up the time table and purchase a new higher
powered PC with 64 bit memory, et ceterea, and transfer the data from
the HP to the new machine. Then, install FreeBSD on the HP machine. It
should work because it is 7 or 8 years old, so FreeBSD should support
the older architecture. Then, move the data off the current Dell
machine into the HP. Once that is up and running, I absolutely need the
mail server running correctly, I will blow away the installation of
FreeBSD on the Dell and try to do a fresh install of version 13. 12
will be obsolete by the time I get this all done, so no reason to mess
with it. The installation will probably fail though. Once I isolate that
PC from the rest of the network, he can have all the access he wants.

By the way, assuming it works and he finds the solution, I demand to be
listed as a contributor to FreeBSD. In fact, I am contributing my time,
money and property to enhance their OS.

--
Jerry