OS to replace FreeBSD

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Sun Mar 21 13:26:17 UTC 2021

On Mar 20, 2021, at 11:24, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
> Can you provide verifiable proof of that statement relating to the know
> defect in the USB controller?

I read the big thread. There is a post there about the controller returning an out of bounds or invalid ID. That would be a problem, with the controller.

Dell is a company that largely deals with Windows. I’m sure Windows does not care one whit about invalid USB controllers that maybe hijacking your hardware, and neither does Dell because 99% of their customers are using windows.

But here’s the thing.

YOU have a problem. You have been given two suggestions on how to mitigate your problem, and your response is “I don’t WANNA!” Which is fine, but then you repeatedly complain about how your problems is not solved. It’s no ones job to solve your problem. This is not a common problem. This is an edge case. Sucks, but that’s the way it is.

If you want to use Linux, fine, this is NOT the place to ask for suggestions on what Linux to switch to, because this is not a Linux list, and you asking that here comes across as you simply bring a shit-stirrer.

If you think compiling a kernel is too hard and you can’t figure out how/refuse to disable the errant usb in your UEFI, then yes, switching OS is another, possible, solution for you. I would not be at all surprised to find you have problems on current Linux.

I would buy a USB3 card ($20?) with a different controller, put that in, and disable the onboard USB-3, but that’s me.

--
My main job is trying to come up with new and innovative and effective ways to reject even more mail. I'm up to about 97% now