OS to replace FreeBSD

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Sat Mar 20 08:38:54 UTC 2021

On 19 Mar 2021, at 11:02, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
> Versions 10 & 11 work fine. This is something that FreeBSD did that
> screwed up the works.

As I understand it, the controller was always broken (returning an invalid and illegal ID?) it's just that FreeBSD tried to properly parse that ID and fails. Who know, there are probably security considerations. I know I do not want my system rusting a errant USB port considering the security disater that USB is.

Anyway, this is an issue with the controller and you have been told how to work around it. At this point, it's up to you if you want to apply the knife to cut out the controller causing the error or apply it to your nose instead.

Neither of these is really a great option, at least not if you are using USB3 devices for some reason, but there it is.

> Dell is aware of the problem but will do nothing

That matches every experience I've ever had with Dell, yes. but the issue appears to be the on board controller which is not theirs. The manufacturer of the on board controller could fix this, probably, but they have no motivation to.

> I am not going to spend more money to get a system that is happy with
> FreeBSD. I buy what I want and then get an OS that is capable of
> operating on it, not the other way around. In any case, I am thinking
> of either Fedora, Debian or Arch Linux. I was just looking for
> recommendations from anyone who has used those systems.

I find Linux to be annoyingly different in myriad ways, some of which are objectively inferior, so… Every time I need to do stuff on my Pi4 I feel like I am living on a. System that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Unix. YMMV, of course. If you are a desktop Unix person you may even prefer linux.

--
The brain is an amazing organ, it works every second of every day
	from before we're even born right up until the instant we fall in