Totally OT comment: Re: Somewhat OT: Mail Relay Services

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Tue Mar 2 00:15:51 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 5:04 PM, Tim Daneliuk via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On 3/1/21 5:56 PM, Russell L. Carter wrote:
>> nd I'm a little icked out to have to run local mail through yet
>> another evilcorp.  So I'm provisionally going to have the local postfix
>> instances SMTP relay to a cloud postfix instance I manage.  T
>

> You don't.  Sendmail, at least, is smart enough to deliver local mail
> without doing through the relay - at least for things in the same
> domain.

Agreed!  That's what I intend to do, but I have to move my
infrastructure physically out into the cloud to get rid of my
last mile ISP problem.  Roamers are a complication, obviously.

Now I think I know how to do it.  I need to emphasize that I'm
just an amateur here with way too much time on his hands...

> For other domains, sendmail provides mailtable which is a way to decide
> which relay should be used for which domains.  (I just confirmed this
> with the sendmail gurus.)  I assume postfix has something analogous.

Yep.

> Also, I checked with DuoCircle and they claim to only retain the content
> for a day in their logs, but are willing to turn that off at the request
> of the customer.

That's cool of them.  There was some glitch on registration (freebsd
firefox?) and chat cleared it up quickly so I am encouraged so far.

Best,
Russell