Totally OT comment: Re: Somewhat OT: Mail Relay Services

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 1 15:48:37 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 9:30 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Having worked for an e-mail service provider in the past, I can state
> that it isn't GMail, Outlook or any of the other big cloud providers
> intentionally killing off personal e-mail servers.

No, they are not. It is not they, but their way of doing things does.

> Well, other than by
> competition: providing an easy-to-use mail service with little
> administrative burden.

Leaving people switching over to "big boys" along, I am considering
purely technical aspects of "small time" servers being thrown out of the
ability to reliably and consistently providing email services, - because
of the way bug boys do things.

> It's the continuing arms race between the Spam senders and the Spam
> filtering.  Reputation scoring based on sender IP is one of the best
> tools in the box for filtering spam, but...

Yes, and your "BUT" is exactly why I called "barracuda" and friends a
brain dead approach. Do we still support mail forwarding? Do we still
consider email account owner entitled to receive all mail arriving for
his/her account? If both answers are yes, then your server quite likely
will be "barracuded".

Just my $0.02.

Valeri

  the spammers are continually