Totally OT comment: Re: Somewhat OT: Mail Relay Services

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 1 15:30:38 UTC 2021

Having worked for an e-mail service provider in the past, I can state
that it isn't GMail, Outlook or any of the other big cloud providers
intentionally killing off personal e-mail servers.  Well, other than by
competition: providing an easy-to-use mail service with little
administrative burden.

It's the continuing arms race between the Spam senders and the Spam
filtering.  Reputation scoring based on sender IP is one of the best
tools in the box for filtering spam, but the spammers are continually
developing ways to avoid it by distributing their output over whole
network ranges, and by setting up throw-away spam sources on  any and
all hosting services they can blag their way into.  That's why your VPC
hosting your e-mail server will quite likely get shot down as collateral
damage.

The best way to avoid this is to use an address range that you can be
confident no one will be able to set up a spam source on.  So, a
dedicated e-mail relaying service would qualify.  Or, if you can swing
it, get yourself a fixed IP range and run an e-mail system out of your
own premises. (Which is what I do.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew