Keymapping erased when disconnecting/connecting keyboard

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Tue Jun 29 20:52:33 UTC 2021

On 28/06/2021 19:17, Kristofer via freebsd-questions wrote:

> I have another issue that I have not seen before FreeBSD 13.0. I frequently unplug the keyboard to use on another machine and I have been doing this for many years on older FreeBSD installations without any issues. Now with 13.0, every time I plug in the keyboard again, I have US keymap and it ignores the setting I have in /etc/rc.conf. locale is also unmodified, as epxected. The kaymap is correctly set to Swedish keymap when I log in, but as soon as I remove/re-add the keyboard, it is lost.

I don't know about the rc.conf settings but I experience something similar in Xorg.
I'm using the us layout using the altgr-intl variant and the variant is occasionally
forgotten when I plug a new keyboard in (I'm using a KM switch). I.e. it reverts to
vanilla US.

I'm running i3 and AFAIK it doesn't mess with the keyboard settings.

> On top of that, I haven't been able to figure out how to get get the keymap back without rebooting the machine. There has got to be some simple thing I'm missing here.

I restore the setting by executing `setxkbmap us altgr-intl`. The first argument is
the layout, the second the variant.