Old NVIDIA card, new FreeBSD = failure?

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Jun 25 19:52:23 UTC 2021

"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> writes:

>   P.S.  It would be Good if whoever does work on the video card support
>   in FreeBSD could create and maintain a short list of "cheap" video
>   cards that are actually supported now, and that should remain so for
>   at least the next few years.

	Yes, _PLEASE_! (s/video cards/chipsets)
	I use AMD, not Nvidia, but I have been looking for over a year
for a low end card actively supported by drm-kmod and/or
drm-current-kmod.  Figuring out which chipsets they support ... let's
just call it both educational and frustrating.
	(For anyone in my position: I _think_ the RX 460 and above
support GCN 2.1, which is what I _think_ is the bottom-end
specification.  Cards matching this number seem to start at about
US $50.)

			Hopefully,

				Robert Huff