Old NVIDIA card, new FreeBSD = failure?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Jun 25 19:28:08 UTC 2021

In message <uZ6VybGvR6ddjj1CVAd0CMNpgvfbc65oLMD5y8r7OPur5j7flNkWuLoxJAueOHkyAJoOW68fE1zpTrvk18VPxS
U3drao03Lv0n8UM6ge3y0=@protonmail.com>, Kristofer <gundoghusse at protonmail.com> wrote:

>I installed 13.0-RELEASE which went fine, but trying to get X to work is failing.
>I have an old NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 which worked fine on the old version...

I have a simimar problem, since FreeBSD these days no longer fully supports
my admittedly ancient AMD-based video card... and as a result, I sometimes
get kernel crashes (althought not too frequently).

I don't think there is anything to be done about these kinds of problems
unless you are willing & able to roll up your sleeves and fix the video
drivers that are of interest to you yourself.  The next best altetrnative,
short of purchasing all new hardware, is to just buy & install a different
and newer video card.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  It would be Good if whoever does work on the video card support in
FreeBSD could create and maintain a short list of "cheap" video cards
that are actually supported now, and that should remain so for at
least the next few years.