Old NVIDIA card, new FreeBSD = failure?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Jun 25 13:28:22 UTC 2021

On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 09:37:27 +0000, Kristofer via freebsd-questions
stated:
>Hi,
>
>I've been using FreeBSD for many years, but I very seldom update so my
>knowledge is very much out of date. After some disk issues, I had to
>reinstall my workstation and I'm currently fighting a losing battle. I
>hope I'm missing something. I do feel a bit lost with all the changes
>that have happened since I last actually did some under-the-hood stuff
>in FreeBSD so I might well be going about this all backwards.
>
>I installed 13.0-RELEASE which went fine, but trying to get X to work
>is failing. I have an old NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 which worked fine on
>the old version (I think I had FreeBSD 10.2), now I'm trying to follow
>the handbook instructions and download the driver directly from
>NVIDIA's site. First I downloaded NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-460.84, which
>built ok, but when starting X it says that my card is only supported
>by the legacy driver -390, so I downloaded
>NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-390.143. This one won't build as it say that the
>driver does not support FreeBSD 13.0 So catch-22 so far.
>
>Is there some other way I should be getting the drivers or some way to
>get either of these to work with me. I really don't have to buy a new
>machine. I guess I could reinstall with an older FreeBSD version
>again, but seems a bit wrong to do that.
>
>TIA,
>Kristofer

Is there a specific reason you are not using nVidia from the port's
system?

Port:   nvidia-driver-390-390.143_1
Info:   NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering

Or, if need be:

Port:   nvidia-secondary-driver-390-390.143_1
Info:   NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering on secondary device

--
Jerry