Old NVIDIA card, new FreeBSD = failure?

Kristofer gundoghusse at protonmail.com
Fri Jun 25 09:37:39 UTC 2021

Hi,

I've been using FreeBSD for many years, but I very seldom update so my knowledge is very much out of date. After some disk issues, I had to reinstall my workstation and I'm currently fighting a losing battle. I hope I'm missing something. I do feel a bit lost with all the changes that have happened since I last actually did some under-the-hood stuff in FreeBSD so I might well be going about this all backwards.

I installed 13.0-RELEASE which went fine, but trying to get X to work is failing.
I have an old NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 which worked fine on the old version (I think I had FreeBSD 10.2), now I'm trying to follow the handbook instructions and download the driver directly from NVIDIA's site.
First I downloaded NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-460.84, which built ok, but when starting X it says that my card is only supported by the legacy driver -390, so I downloaded NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-390.143. This one won't build as it say that the driver does not support FreeBSD 13.0
So catch-22 so far.

Is there some other way I should be getting the drivers or some way to get either of these to work with me. I really don't have to buy a new machine. I guess I could reinstall with an older FreeBSD version again, but seems a bit wrong to do that.

TIA,
Kristofer